- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3–4 pound piece of beef brisket
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 cup mustard
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- Trim any big pieces of fat off of the brisket and cut it into 3 pieces. Season it with salt and pepper.
- Pour the vegetable oil into the Instant Pot and press the Saute button. When things are hot, add the brisket pieces and brown on all sides. Press the Cancel button and put the brisket pieces on a plate while you make the sauce.
- Put the garlic, chili powder, mustard, tomato sauce, water and sugar into the Instant Pot and stir. Add the onion and stir again. Add the browned brisket pieces and nestle them into the sauce.
- Secure the lid, make sure the pressure vent is closed, and push the Manual button. Set the time for 90 minutes and make sure the pressure is in the High setting.
- When 90 minutes are up, let the pressure release naturally for 15 minutes, then carefully flip the pressure vent open to release the rest of the pressure.
- Remove the meat and let it sit under foil for about 10 minutes, then cut against the grain into thin slices. Serve with a generous spoonful of sauce ladled over the top.
The leftovers (if there ARE leftovers!) make great sandwiches!