Get that cooked all day long flavor in a fraction of the time with this easy recipe for Instant Pot beef barbecue. Fast and delicious and even better when you use the leftovers in a bbq sandwich!
The Southern husband feels about barbecue the way I feel about bacon, and since he is currently residing with me up in the North, far far away from our favorite bbq joint, I take every opportunity to work on my barbecue skills. So it was inevitable that one of the first recipes I came up with for our spanking new Instant Pot was this one for Instant Pot Beef Barbecue. It turns what is usually an all day cooking affair into a quick couple of hours, with most of those hours just letting the barbecue cook into tender, sweet yet spicy deliciousness.
Ready to barbecue up your Instant Pot? Let’s make it!
First, you need a nice piece of brisket – anywhere from 3-5 pounds will do it. You want to trim off any big pieces of fat, and then cut it into a few evenly sized pieces so they fit nicely into your Instant Pot. (Briskets are BIG.)
Now, the Instant Pot has a nifty Saute button which lets you sear the brisket before you cook it to get a nice brown crust on the outside. Once that is done, all that you have to do is mix together a few ingredients for the sauce, nestle your brisket pieces into the sauce, close the lid, push the Manual button and find something else to do for the next 90 minutes or so.
I used that time to make some coleslaw, because what’s better than coleslaw when you are having barbecue. Nothing. Nothing is better than coleslaw. The Southern husband might say fried okra, but I say coleslaw.Get that cooked all day long flavor in a fraction of the time with this easy recipe for Instant Pot beef barbecue. Fast and delicious and even better when you use the leftovers in a bbq sandwich! #barbecue #InstantPotClick To TweetAnyway, after 90 minutes in the Instant Pot, your brisket will have been transformed into barbecue. After the pressure is released (directions for that in the recipe below), take the brisket out and let it rest for about 10 minutes or so. I KNOW. THE WAITING. Then slice it up against the grain and make sure you give everyone a super generous ladle of the delectable sauce that it cooked in.
And there you have it – Instant Pot Beef Barbecue. I will say that it passed the Southern husband taste test with flying colors!
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3-4 pound piece of beef brisket
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 cup mustard
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- Trim any big pieces of fat off of the brisket and cut it into 3 pieces. Season it with salt and pepper.
- Pour the vegetable oil into the Instant Pot and press the Saute button. When things are hot, add the brisket pieces and brown on all sides. Press the Cancel button and put the brisket pieces on a plate while you make the sauce.
- Put the garlic, chili powder, mustard, tomato sauce, water and sugar into the Instant Pot and stir. Add the onion and stir again. Add the browned brisket pieces and nestle them into the sauce.
- Secure the lid, make sure the pressure vent is closed, and push the Manual button. Set the time for 90 minutes and make sure the pressure is in the High setting.
- When 90 minutes are up, let the pressure release naturally for 15 minutes, then carefully flip the pressure vent open to release the rest of the pressure.
- Remove the meat and let it sit under foil for about 10 minutes, then cut against the grain into thin slices. Serve with a generous spoonful of sauce ladled over the top.
The leftovers (if there ARE leftovers!) make great sandwiches!