Roasted cauliflower and bacon turn this simple soup into a hearty and delicious treat. Whip up some healthy and delicious roasted cauliflower soup for your next hearty lunch!
- 1 large head of cauliflower, florets trimmed off and cut into 1–2 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 strips of bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 3 cups chicken broth (I like the Pacific and Imagine boxed brands)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme plus extra for garnish
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese plus extra for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 and line a cookie sheet with foil. Toss cauliflower with oil, place on prepared sheet and roast until slightly browned, about 30 minutes. Cool.
- Cook bacon in a large Dutch oven or other large pot until crispy. Remove with slotted spoon, leaving the bacon grease in the pot.
- Cook onion in the bacon grease over medium high heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add cauliflower, broth, herbs and spices and simmer for 15 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- Working in batches if necessary, puree the soup in a blender until smooth. Return to pot and add milk and cheese. Heat over medium heat until soup is warm.
- Garnish with bacon, extra cheese and extra thyme and serve.