This easy recipe for bacon egg muffins makes an all in one breakfast treat that cooks up in a snap in your muffin tin. Perfect for a hungry breakfast or brunch crowd!
If you have been reading this blog for any length of time, you know how much I like to muffin-ize things. French toast, for example, and the middle of the cinnamon roll for another. So I guess it was only a matter of time before I muffined up a savory version, and what better way to start than with bacon and eggs? In this case, Canadian bacon, whose round shape is practically begging to be cooked up in a muffin tin. Ready to muffin your breakfast? Let’s make them!
Canadian bacon is (to me) actually close to ham than bacon, but is still has that marvelous sweet and salty flavor, and can usually be found right next to the bacon in your friendly neighborhood grocery store. It’s going to form the “crust” of your muffin, and after making these a few times I realized that the Canadian bacon goes into the muffin tin MUCH more obediently if you cut about a one inch slit in the top, bottom and both sides.
[clickToTweet tweet=”This easy recipe for bacon egg muffins makes an all in one breakfast treat that cooks up in a snap in your muffin tin. ” quote=”This easy recipe for bacon egg muffins makes an all in one breakfast treat that cooks up in a snap in your muffin tin. “]Once you do that, you are going to crack an egg into the bacon-lined muffin cup and sprinkle on some cheese and bread crumbs, and a little salt and pepper. I like cheddar cheese, but you could use Jack or parmesan or whatever cheese catches your fancy.
Now pop the whole shebang into the oven for about 10 minutes if you like your eggs very soft-set, or 15 if you like them a little more well-done. Now run a knife around the edge to loosen ’em up, and scoop them out with a small spatula…and you’re done! Next to my eggs in clouds, this is one of my favorite eggs for a crowd approaches.
Now what ELSE can I muffin-ate? Taking all suggestions. 🙂
- 6 slices Canadian bacon
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup toasted bread crumbs (see note)
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat over to 350 and spray a muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Make four 1 inch slits in each round of bacon – at the top, bottom and both sides. (This will help them stay in the muffin tins without popping out). Press them into the muffin tin openings.
- Crack an egg into each bacon cup and sprinkle with cheddar cheese and bread crumbs. Shake on a little bit of salt and pepper.
- Bake until set, about 10 minutes for soft set and 15 minutes for more well done eggs.
- Run a knife around the edge of each muffin and remove with a small spatula and serve!
The easiest and most delicious way to make bread crumbs is to whirl a slice of bread in your food processor, then toast with a teaspoon of olive oil and a pinch of salt in a small skillet over medium high heat. Stir the whole time to make sure they don’t get too brown!