- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped into very small pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- Put chopped chocolate, butter and salt in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 1 minute. Stir, and if the chocolate is not completely melted microwave again for another 30 seconds to a minute. Stir again until everything is smooth.
- Add extract, eggs and sugar to the chocolate mixture and stir until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together cocoa powder, flour and baking powder.
- Add the flour mixture to the chocolate mixture and stir until well combined. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 3 hours – this dough will hold up to 4 days in your fridge before baking if needed!
- Preheat oven to 350 and line cookie sheets with parchment or silicone baking mats. Scoop out tablespoons of dough and roll in the confectioner’s sugar until completely coated. Place 2 inches apart on cookie sheets and bake for 10 minutes. The cookies will spread a little bit so that “crackles” appear.
- Cool for 10 minutes on the cookie sheets, then transfer to wire cooling racks and cool completely.