This simple recipe for warm roasted fall vegetable salad has all the flavors and colors of autumn, tossed with a little bacon! Can you say perfect Thanksgiving side dish?
Ah, this salad. It is chock full of not only the scrumptious tastes of fall, but the carrots and the shallots and the slightly charred bits make it look like fall too. It is served just the right amount of warm, and while you don’t HAVE to do this, I like to make all this healthiness just the slightest bit naughty by adding a handful of bacon. I’m not saying this is ever going to replace mashed potatoes or sweet potato casserole on your holiday table…but you might want to make room for it alongside those favorites. Ready for a warm and wonderful salad? Let’s make it!
This has every single one of my favorite fall veggies in it. Starting with carrots. So cheerful and sweet.
Baby potatoes. You can use either red ones or yellow ones, or even fingerlings. Just get the teeniest ones you can.
Shallots!! When you roast shallots, they take on a sweet, almost creamy taste. I put lots of them in this recipe. I heart shallots.
Now, I am a fervent Brussels sprouts fan. The Southern husband…not so much. But even he can’t say no to the deliciousness of roast Brussels sprouts in this salad. Or if he does, I just eat the rejected Brussels sprouts left on his plate.
Garlic. You are going to roast a few whole cloves of garlic with the other veggies, and just like the shallots, they will turn all kinds of sweet once they are roasted. MAGIC.
Once the veggies have all roasted together, I let them hang out in a bowl while I pop a few pieces of bacon in the oven until they are nice and crispy, and then I chop it up and toss it in with the salad to add a salty, savory, baconalicious taste.
Regular bacon is wonderful, or you can go for broke and use my recipe for cornmeal crusted bacon. I’m just warning you, you might never be able to go back to regular bacon again.
All of this gets tossed with a quick mustard vinaigrette, ideally while everything is just the right amount of warm.
THE DELICIOUSNESS. Now that’s what I call a salad. 🙂Print
For the salad:
- 2 cups baby potatoes, cut in half
- 6 carrots, peeled and cut into 2 inch slices
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 6 shallots, peeled and cut in half
- 1 cup small Brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in half
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Pinch each of salt and pepper
- 4 slices of bacon
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Pinch each of salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 and line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Place all the veggies in a large mixing bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the salt and pepper and toss again.
- Spread out on the baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes.
- Remove the veggies from the oven and pour into a bowl. Place the bacon on the baking sheet and cook until crisp, about 12-15 minutes. Chop into pieces.
- Make the dressing by putting all dressing ingredients into a small jar and shaking vigorously.
- Add the bacon to the roasted veggies. Drizzle on the dressing, toss and serve!