This easy recipe for lemon pasta carbonara brings the bright sparkling taste of citrus to this comfort food favorite. Bacon and lemon harmony!
- 4 slices thick cut bacon, cut into pieces
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 ounces fettuccine pasta
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 egg yolks
- Zest from 1/2 lemon and peel from the other half
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Cook bacon in a heavy deep skillet until crispy. Remove and drain on paper towels, leaving drippings in skillet.
- Add shallots and garlic to skillet and cook over medium heat until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions and drain, saving a cup of the pasta water right before draining.
- Pour pasta into skillet along with about half the pasta water and 1/3 cup of the parmesan cheese. Toss over low heat until everything is well mixed.
- Add the egg to the pasta mixture and toss again. Add the lemon zest and juice and the rest of the cheese and toss again. Drizzle in a little more pasta water if needed to make a light sauce.
- Add the bacon, the butter and a grinding of pepper, and toss again. Divide among warmed plates. Garnish with lemon peel and serve!