This easy recipe for carrot feta bisque is everything you want a soup to be – creamy, dreamy, cheesy and a snap to make. A perfect fall lunch!
I love kicking off fall with homemade soup! And one of my favorite is this easy recipe for carrot feta bisque, which is full of rich carrot flavor, and which can be whipped up in about a half hour with the help of your friendly blender. It’s topped with a generous pile of feta cheese, which rounds out the sweet carrot flavor with the salty savory taste of cheese. It makes having summer in the rear view mirror a little less sad.
So, ready to start soup season? Carrot feta bisque…let’s make it!
And you know what else makes fall so fabulous? College football season! Last weekend we went down South to cheer on our reigning National Champion Clemson Tigers.
If you have never seen the Tigers run down the hill into the stadium….well, let’s just say there a reason it’s called the most exciting 25 seconds in college football. It makes me both delighted and anxious that someone is going to trip, even though they never do.
And even more exciting, I got to see my own Tiger cub!
We tailgated all day, after we packed up the car with a little help from our friends.
Yes, those are baby goats. Long adorable story. A good time was had by all, necessitating a couple of cups of this the next morning on the way to the airport.
(When we are down South, there is no Starbucks. There is only Waffle House.)
Anyway, back at the soup, you are going to simmer up some carrots and sweet onion in a chicken broth until the carrots are nice and tender. You can use baby carrots if you want to skip the peeling, although I like to use local fresh carrots when I can get my mitts on them.
Once the carrots are tender, you blend everything up until it is nice and smooth, then return it to the pot (and if you have an immersion blender you can blend it right IN the pot. Happiness!).
All that’s left to do is swirl in a little cream, season it up, ladle it out, and adorn it with a generous handful of feta cheese.
It just occurred to me that this is a PERFECT Clemson orange-colored soup. Maybe for the next tailgate??
Happy football and happy fall!!Print
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound carrots (either baby carrots, or regular carrots peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces)
- 1 sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth (you can substitute vegetable broth if you like)
- 1/2 cup light cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Heat oil in a large deep pot over medium high heat. Add carrots, and onion and cook until onion starts to soften a little, about five minutes.
- Add broth and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer until carrots are nice and tender, about 25 minutes.
- Blend the soup in your blender until smooth – you may have to do this in batches – and return to pot. If you have an immersion blender, you can blend it right in the pot!
- Stir in cream and season to taste with salt and pepper. Warm over medium heat until hot.
- Ladle into bowls and top with feta cheese.