This easy recipe for pan-seared tuna steaks with tomato spinach sauce has ALL the good tastes, and is ready in a half hour!
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 pound plum tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 four ounce tuna steaks (about an inch thick)
- Salt and pepper
- Heat half of the oil in a heavy deep skillet over medium high heat. Saute the onion until tender, about 5 minutes, and then stir in the tomatoes, spinach and capers. Cook over medium low heat until everything is thick and tender.
- While the veggies are cooking, put the rest of the oil in another large skillet (if you have a cast iron one, this is the time to break it out!), sprinkle the tuna with salt and pepper and sear the tuna for 3-5 minutes on each side, depending on how rare you like it.
- Slice the tuna into strips and serve covered with the tomato spinach sauce. It’s delectable all on its own, but if you want some grains with your tuna, serve over polenta or rice.