This recipe for easy steak au poivre – otherwise known as steak with pepper – has a creamy, boozy sauce that will have them wanting seconds!
- 4 filet mignon steaks, 4-6 ounces each, about 1 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 shallots, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Sprinkle the steaks on both sides with the pepper and press it firmly into the steak.
- Heat a skillet over high heat (if you have a cast iron skillet this is the time to use it!) for 5 minutes. Add one tablespoon of butter, swirl it around, and then add the steaks.
- Let the steaks cook for 2-3 minutes without moving them so they get a nice sear. Turn them over with tongs and cook for another 2-3 minutes for medium rare. Remove to a plate and cover with foil.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and add the rest of the butter. Stir in the shallots for 2 minutes, and then add the chicken broth.
- When the broth is simmering, add the bourbon and simmer for about 5 minutes. Stir in the cream and simmer for another couple of minutes.
- Spoon a puddle of sauce onto each plate, place the steak on top, and ladle on a generous amount of sauce. Serve at once.