This easy recipe for corn shrimp chowder has so many wonderful flavors of summer! Sweet corn, tender shrimp and bacon in a creamy soup.
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Kernels from 3 ears of corn
- 1/2 pound shrimp, peeled, deveined and chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Cook bacon in a large deep saucepan over medium high heat until crispy. Remove with tongs to a dish lined with paper towels. Leave the drippings in the pot.
- Add half the scallions and all the potatoes to the pot and stir over medium high heat until scallions start to soften, about 2 minutes. Add flour and stir, and then add milk, Old Bay and chicken broth. Simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender (or better yet, use your handy immersion blender!) and puree.
- Return to pot and add corn kernels and shrimp. Simmer until shrimp are just done, about 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with remaining scallions and bacon.