Cast iron skillet pizza can be customized all different ways with this easy recipe. From classic tomato and cheese to anything you can dream up!
- 1/2 pound prepared pizza dough
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- A little flour for rolling the pizza dough
- About 8 ounces of your favorite cheese at room temperature. Thinly sliced mozzarella, fresh ricotta, goat cheese, shredded fontina, crumbled blue cheese and crumbled feta are all great choices!
- About 1 cup of your choice of vegetables. Thinly sliced heirloom tomatoes, thawed artichoke hearts, sliced sweet onion, squash blossoms, sautéed baby spinach are all wonderful. I’ve even used sliced peaches!
- Your choice of fresh herbs, chopped. Rosemary, basil, oregano, chives, thyme, etc. If you are using basil, hold a little back to sprinkle on the finished pizza.
- Fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees, and pour oil into a 12 inch cast iron skillet. Spread the oil around with a paper towel until the skillet is coated.
- Shake a litte flour onto the rolling surface and roll the dough into a roughly 11 inch circle. Press it into the skillet, pushing the edges up around the side a little.
- Cook the dough over medium high heat on the stove until the bottom is set and starting to brown underneath (lift it up with a spatula and peek!), about 3-4 minutes.
- Spread your choice of cheese or cheeses on the dough, and then scatter veggies and herbs on top. If you are using parmesan cheese, sprinkle that on top of the veggies.
- Put the skillet in the oven and cook for about 10 minutes, until the cheese has melted.
- Remove skillet from oven and transfer pizza to cutting board (I usually use two spatulas to do this. Cut into wedges and serve!