Bistro salad is a simple but glorious combo of bacon, egg, lettuce and your favorite vinaigrette, with a little bread and cheese. Easy and elegant!
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1 shallot, peeled
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
- 3/4 cup olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 12 baguette slices, toasted
- Your favorite spreadable cheese — Brie, Boursin, etc.
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and cut in half
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 head of romaine lettuce, leaves separated and rinsed
- First, make dressing by processing vinegar, mustard, shallot, garlic, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in blender or small food processor for 15 seconds. Add oil and process until emulsified, about 15 seconds.
- Drizzle baguette toasts with olive oil and spread with your favorite cheese, set aside.
- Fry eggs in butter until desired doneness (about 2 minutes for soft yolks, 3 for soft set and 4 for firm set.)
- While eggs are cooking, toss lettuce with bacon and enough dressing for your taste (start with 1/4 cup and add more as needed). Divide among plates.
- When eggs are done, slide one onto each plate and arrange cheese toasts around the edge. Grind fresh pepper over all and serve.