Is there anything more perfect than steak and french fries? Here’s my favorite recipe for steak frites! The perfect meat and potatoes supper.
- 2 one pound hangar steaks, cut in half length-wise
- 1/4 cup mustard
- Juice from one lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large Idaho or Russet potatoes
- Sea salt and pepper
- Canola or vegetable oil for frying
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Mix mustard, lemon juice, olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper together in a small bowl. Slather it over both sides of the steak and let them sit for at least two hours in the fridge, or up to overnight.
- Prep the potatoes by scrubbing them clean with a vegetable brush (no need to peel them) and then cutting them into super thin strips with the julienne blade on a mandoline. If you don’t have a mandoline, cut the potatoes into very thin slices length-wise, and then cut the slices into thin strips.
- Heat your grill to its highest setting and grill the steaks for 2 minutes per side if they are thin and 3 minutes per side if they are thick for medium rare. Remove them to a cutting board and let them sit while you are finishing the fries.
- Pour 2 inches of canola or vegetable oil into a heavy deep skillet and turn the heat to high. Line a cookie sheet with paper towels.
- When the oil is hot (we are looking for about 350 degrees if you want to get precise, but otherwise just let it heat for about 5 minutes and you should be good), lower the potatoes into the oil with a large slotted spoon or spider. Fry until golden and then remove them to the lined cookie sheet. Sprinkle them with salt and pepper.
- Slice the steaks, put them on individual plates with a nice pile of fries, sprinkle with parsley if you like, and dig in!