- 12 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Premade mini pastry cups (optional)
- Paprika, crumbled blue cheese, cooked crumbled bacon and/or salmon roe for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
- Separate the egg whites and yolks into bowls. Whisk the whites until just foamy, pour them into the baking dish, cover the dish with foil and bake until the whites have fully set, about 20 minutes. Let cool completely in the baking dish.
- While the whites are baking, beat the yolks until smooth. Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium low heat. Add the yolks, and scramble until fully cooked, about 2-3 minutes.
- Put the cooked yolks, mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, a pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper in a food processor, and process until smooth. Put the yolk mixture to a pastry bag fitted with a small round tip (you can also use a ziplok bag and just snip off one of the corner edges.
- Loosen the egg whites gently with a thin spatula, place a cutting board over the baking dish and turn it over. Cut the whites into even 1-inch squares, or if you want to put them into the pastry cups, use the round top of a spice jar or something similar to cut them into circles. If you are using the pastry cup, place each egg white circle into the cup.
- Squeeze a dollops of the egg yolk mixture onto each square or circle. Garnish with toppings as desired – you can also just give them a sprinkle of paprika. Place on a pretty plate and serve!