- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 carrots, peel and cut into rounds
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 4 celery stalked, chopped
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- 32 ounces chicken broth (I like the Imagine variety)
- Juice from one lemon
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 cup pearl barley or farro
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Put the olive oil in a large deep pot and heat over medium high. Add carrots, celery and onion and stir until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, lemon juice, poultry seasoning, chicken breasts and barley or farro. Bring to a simmer.
- Strip the leaves from the rosemary and add to the soup. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and shred into bite sized pieces. Return to the soup and stir.
- Serve in warmed bowls. This is a soup that gets better over time, so make sure you make enough for leftovers!