- 8 plum tomatoes, quartered
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Sea salt and pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups shelled edamame
- Preheat oven to 375 and line a rimmed baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Toss the tomatoes with the onion, olive oil and basil and spread them in a single layer on the pan. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. Tuck the garlic cloves into the tomato wedges.
- Roast for 40 minutes.
- Heat the broth in a large pot over medium heat and stir in the tomato paste. Add the roasted veggies and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pour the soup into a blender and process until smooth. Return to the pot.
- Stir in the edamame (saving a little back for garnish if you like!) and simmer until heated through.
- Serve garnished with reserved edamame and freshly ground pepper.
You can find edamame in the frozen vegetable section of your grocery store.