- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 28 ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon oregano, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 8 ounce piece of fresh mozzarella
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 9 no boil lasagna noodles
- 6 cups baby spinach leaves
- Saute beef in a large, deep, oven-safe frying pan (cast iron if you have it) until browned. Add tomatoes with their juice, oregano, salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering, slice off about 8 thin slices of mozzarella and set aside. Chop the rest into small pieces and mix with ricotta and egg.
- Pour the sauce into a bowl and start assembling the lasagna: ladle about a cup of sauce back into the frying pan and lay 3 noodles on top. Ladle on another cup or so of sauce, then 1/2 cup of cheese mixture, then 2 cups of spinach. Repeat the layers three times, and the amounts are approximate so don’t worry if you have a little more or less of anything for that last layer.
- Cover the frying pan and cook for about 20 minutes over medium heat.
- Turn on your broiler. Place the sliced mozzarella on top of the lasagna layers and put the frying pan under the broiler until the cheese melts, about 2-3 minutes (watch it carefully!)
- Sprinkle the lasagna with a little oregano and fresh pepper and cut into wedges to serve.