- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 1 3 inch piece of ginger, peeled and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1 sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- A pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2–3 bone-in chicken breast halves, cut in half again with kitchen shears
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup rice wine
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- Heat oil in a heavy deep skillet over high heat. Add ginger, garlic, onion and pepper and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken and cook until brown, turning occasionally, for about 5 minutes.
- Add sugar, rice wine and soy sauce and bring to a simmer. Cook over medium low heat for another 15 minutes, turning the chicken pieces a few times.
- Serve as is or over rice, scattering basil leaves on top.