This easy recipe for red wine short ribs is the perfect comfort food for a lazy fall weekend! Veggies and ribs cook long and low for an amazing flavor.
- 5 pounds bone-in beef short ribs, cut in half if possible
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 standard size bottle Cabernet or other dry red wine
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme
- 1 head garlic, cut in half cross-wise
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup cream (optional but oh so good!)
- Season ribs with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or other oven-proof pot over medium high and brown ribs on all sides. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Add onion, carrots and celery to pot and cook in drippings, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Add flour and tomato paste and stir for another minute.
- Pour in red wine and return ribs to pot. Bring to a simmer, turn heat to medium low and cook for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350. Add thyme and garlic and chicken broth to pot and bring to a simmer. Put the covered pot in the oven and cook for 2 1/2 hours until short ribs are tender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. If you are using the cream, stir it in now.
- Ladle ribs and veggies into warmed bowls and drizzle a generous amount of sauce over the top.
This meal is wonderful served as is, but even more wonderful ladled over mashed potatoes or warm polenta or grits!