This easy recipe for red wine short ribs is the perfect comfort food for a lazy fall weekend! Veggies and ribs cook long and low for an amazing flavor.
- 5 pounds bone-in beef short ribs, cut in half if possible
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 standard size bottle Cabernet or other dry red wine
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme
- 1 head garlic, cut in half cross-wise
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup cream (optional but oh so good!)
- Season ribs with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or other oven-proof pot over medium high and brown ribs on all sides. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Add onion, carrots and celery to pot and cook in drippings, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Add flour and tomato paste and stir for another minute.
- Pour in red wine and return ribs to pot. Bring to a simmer, turn heat to medium low and cook for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350. Add thyme and garlic and chicken broth to pot and bring to a simmer. Put the covered pot in the oven and cook for 2 1/2 hours until short ribs are tender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. If you are using the cream, stir it in now.
- Ladle ribs and veggies into warmed bowls and drizzle a generous amount of sauce over the top.
This meal is wonderful served as is, but even more wonderful ladled over mashed potatoes or warm polenta or grits!
Need to add something to your kitchen equipment to make this recipe? Below are some of the items we used in the Framed Cooks kitchen to help cook this up. These are affiliate links to things we use and love, which helps to pay for all that bacon I keep buying!