This recipe for tomato basil cheese towers is just as easy as it is dramatic. The perfect summer appetizer or small dinner.
- 2 heirloom or beefsteak tomatoes
- 1/4 pound fontina, mozzarella or other semi-soft cheese
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Sea salt
- Slice tomatoes and cheese into 1/4 inch slices.
- Put basil and olive oil into a food processor and puree. Season with a pinch of sea salt.
- Stack tomato and cheese slices in alternating layers. Drizzle with basil puree, garnish with basil leaves and a grinding of fresh pepper and serve.
These towers are delicious all on their own, but I like to serve this on a bed of warm polenta or grits. You could also make extra basil puree. pour a puddle of it on the plate and stack the towers on that for extra basil flavor!