- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 1 14 ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons grainy mustard
- 8 ounces short pasta (ziti, penne, campanelle)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup (or more if you like) finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 scallions, sliced
- Cook beef and onion in a deep skillet over medium high heat until meat is browned.
- Add tomatoes with their juices, mustard, pasta and chicken broth. Bring to a simmer, cover the skillet and cook until the pasta is tender – about 15 minutes but use the directions on the pasta you are using as a guide.
- When the pasta is tender, scatter the cheese over the top, turn off the heat, cover the skillet again and let it sit for about 2-3 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Spoon into warmed bowls, scatter with scallions and serve!