There’s just something about soup that makes winter Not So Bad. Especially when it is an easy peasy potato blue cheese soup that blends together into a creamy, hearty, cheese bowl of warm delicousness. Such is the case with this recipe, which cooks up all in one pot, and then gets whirled in the blender until it is smooth and thick and dreamy, and is just perfect for a cold winter’s night. Or afternoon. I do love a good substantial soup for lunch…it gives me lots of energy to tackle the rest of the day. This one has three of my favorites in it: potatoes, leeks and a snappy blue cheese, and I always purposely make extra so that I can have it lunch after lunch. Let’s make some!
Soup is not only perfect for chasing the winter chills away, it’s a great comfort food for whatever is bothering you. We had quite a storm last week, and our usually cheery hound dog was Not Happy. There is only one thing that scares her, and that is a noisy thunderstorm. Okay, maybe that and the vacuum cleaner. But thunderstorms are definitely in first place on her DO NOT LIKE list. When they come at night like this one did, she abandons her dog bed and paces around the house. Around and around and around and around. So before that started, I let her up on our bed. She’s really too big to be on the bed when we are both in it, but it calms her down to be close to the rest of the pack. Even if she does tend to keep an eye on the ceiling, which i think in her dog mind is where the thunder is coming from.
If dogs were allowed to have soup, I would have definitely passed her a bowl of this potato blue cheese delicousness, because if there is anything that can chase away the worries, it’s this.
So the next time things are either chilly or out of sorts or both, THIS is what I prescribe. Slurp up a bowl of it and see if you don’t feel much better.Print
- 3 good sized potatoes (either Yukons or Russets work well)
- 3 leeks, white and light green parts only, rinsed thoroughly
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh dill for garnish (optional)
- Peel potatoes and cut into one inch chunks. Slice leeks.
- Heat oil in a heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add leeks and saute for about 5 minutes or until they start to turn tender.
- Add potatoes and chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer until potatoes are very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Pour carefully into a blender and puree until smooth (or if you have an immersion blender you can blend it right in the pot!)
- Return to the pot and stir in the blue cheese until melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve, garnished with dill.
Hi there! I’m Kate, and I’m a recipe writer, food photographer and devoted bacon lover. I started Framed Cooks in 2009, and my mission is to create and share family-friendly recipes that make cooking both easy and fun…yes, I said FUN! My kitchen is my happy place, and I want yours to be that place too. And if you make this recipe, I would love you to tag @FramedCooks on Instagram so I can see the deliciousness!