This warm (yes warm) and wonderful mustard chicken salad came out of my burning desire to eat a salad in the dead of winter, combined with the fact that I only wanted warm things to eat. I know…there just seems to be something about the fact that when it is absolutely not salad weather in any way, shape or form, that’s what I need to have for dinner. What’s a girl to do when the salad craving strikes before the calendar flips over to spring? A girl makes a warm mustard chicken salad full of warm veggies and warm chicken and a snappy mustard dressing. Salad and coziness all in the same plate. Let’s make it!In all honesty, this winter hasn’t been that bad. There have been winters when my house pretty much either looked like this, was about to look like this, or had just looked like this:
Although we did have one storm that transformed us into Narnia. So you better believe that if I am going to have a SALAD for dinner on days like that (or really, any day when the thermometer is under 70) it is going to be a nice, hearty, substantial salad that gives me the strength I need to shovel the driveway again.
Okay, so I don’t personally shovel the driveway. Ever. But you get my drift. This scrumptious chicken salad fits the bill perfectly, and in addition the recipe has forever convinced me that if you needed pieces of cooked chicken for something, you MUST roast it in the oven. I used to be a poach it on the stovetop girl, and all these years I never realized that roasting it makes the cooked chicken taste one million percent better. One million, not kidding.
Anyway, after you have roasted the chicken and gotten your fabulous-tasting cooked chicken, you quickly dunk some broccoli in some boiling water, just until it is crisp-tender and a lovely bright green. After that it is just a matter of mixing up the mustard dressing and tossing the whole thing together: the chicken, the broccoli, the dressing, some cherry tomatoes and a little tarragon.
Now THAT’S a salad that a person can eat in front of a fireplace.Print
- 2 bone-in chicken breast halves
- Olive oil
- Coarse salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 small head of broccoli, cut into florets
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup mustard
- 1/4 cup whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- Preheat oven to 350. Place chicken in a baking pan lined with foil and rub with olive oil. Sprinke liberally with salt and pepper and roast for 45 minutes or until an instant read thermometer reads 165.. Cool, discard skin and tear chicken meat into bite-sized pieces.
- Steam or boil broccoli until it is crisp tender, about 4 minutes.
- Make the dressing by whisking the mayo, mustards, and vinegar together. Taste and add more mustard as needed. Add dressing by generous spoonfuls to the chicken until it is nicely coated.
- Add the tarragon, broccoli and tomatoes and mix gently to combine. Serve warm!
Lightly adapted from Barefoot Contessa How Easy Is That?: Fabulous Recipes & Easy Tips
Hi there! I’m Kate, and I’m a recipe writer, food photographer and devoted bacon lover. I started Framed Cooks in 2009, and my mission is to create and share family-friendly recipes that make cooking both easy and fun…yes, I said FUN! My kitchen is my happy place, and I want yours to be that place too. Let’s cook together!