- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/8 cup flour
- 1 12 ounce can evaporated milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups chopped broccoli stems (from 2–3 large pieces of broccoli)
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 6 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
- Place onion, flour, milk, broth and chopped broccoli stems in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Right before serving, steam or boil broccoli florets for 3 minutes or so until crisp-tender. Set aside.
- When soup is done, blend with immersion blender or in regular blender until smooth. Return to slow cooker with heat still on low.
- Stir in cream and cheese until cheese is melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into warmed bowls. Add florets and an extra grinding of pepper and serve.