- 2 slices bread, preferably a hearty country style!
- 4 slices of bacon, chopped
- 1 small head of frisee or other curly lettuce, torn into pieces
- 1 generous teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 eggs
- Toast bread slices until golden. Put on plates.
- Cook bacon in a medium skillet until crispy. Remove and drain on paper towels, leaving the drippings in the pan.
- Add vinegar and mustard to bacon drippings and stir until mixed. Add olive oil as needed to make a dressing – you may not need all of it. Pour over lettuce and toss until coated.
- Poach or fry eggs until soft-set.
- Assemble sandwiches as follows: bread, topped with dressed lettuce, topped with egg. Scatter bacon pieces on top and serve at once.