Things that are good to have:
- Friends who go to Italy and bring you back giant pieces of incredible parmigiana cheese. You know who you are, and giant hugs to you.
- Jars of Stonewall Kitchen jam. We’ve been over this before in previous posts, but it bears repeating.
- A loaf of crusty bread, either your own homemade version or a loaf from your favorite bakery.
If you have both of these things, you are halfway to a fabulous sandwich. And while cheese that has been personally carried through Customs is the best-tasting of all, you can also get a lovely chunk of it at your local deli and it will be almost as good, and then you are still very close to the previously-mentioned fabulous sandwich. Hungry for a ham and parmesan sandwich with jam? Let’s make one…or two!
Get a nice pile of very thin-sliced ham (just ask at your deli counter and they will slice it nice and paper thin for you). Take your loaf of scrumptious bread and slice it on the diagonal in 1/2 inch slices (so that you get nice big slices), and brush both sides with olive oil. Now comes one of the most critical parts of this sandwich, which is The Grilling Of The Bread. I am all about grilling bread. There’s something about that slightly charred grill taste that just makes my heart beat faster. You ARE going to have that moment where you think, is this really worth turning on the grill? Just to grill a few pieces of bread?
Trust me. It is. (And if by chance you don’t have access to a grill, you can toast it. You don’t need to go without this sandwich.)
Once you have your bread all nice and crusty, you are five minutes from heaven. Slather on some raspberry jam (or cherry, or strawberry. Anything red is pretty much perfect.) Layer on some thin-sliced ham, and then some parmesan that you have shaved with your handy vegetable peeler. Hold it up to your nose and inhale deeply…sweet and salty and slightly grill-smelling, and then open wide and take a crunchy/salty/sweet bite.
My work is done here. :)Print
- Sourdough or other hearty bread, sliced 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick
- Olive oil
- Raspberry jam (cherry and strawberry would also work fine!)
- Thin-sliced ham
- Parmesan cheese, shaved into thin pieces with a vegetable peeler
- Heat grill to medium high. Brush both sides of bread with olive oil and grill on both sides until slightly charred. (You can also toast it if you don’t have a grill.)
- Spread bread with jam, and then layer on ham and shaved cheese.
Hi there! I’m Kate, and I’m a recipe writer, food photographer and devoted bacon lover. I started Framed Cooks in 2009, and along the way my recipes have also been featured in places including Huff Post, the Today Show, BuzzFeed and Glamour. My mission is to create and share family-friendly recipes that make cooking both easy and fun…yes, I said FUN! My kitchen is my happy place, and I want yours to be that place too. Let’s cook together!
Framed Cooks is delighted to have appeared on these great sites!