I do love me a dinner that cooks up in one skillet, and this recipe for crispy chicken with wilted romaine lettuce is one of those dinners. Which means that not only do you get a plateful of crackling crispy chicken and tender flavorful sautéed romaine lettuce (and more on THAT later), you will also be cleaning out a grand total of one skillet. One is my favorite number when it comes to cleaning things. Especially since my handsome kitchen clean-up staff is temporarily out on sick leave. So this plate of low maintenance scrumptiousness is going to be on the menu on a regular basis for the next little while, which is just fine with us. Let’s make it!
Now, as for the wilted romaine: I may be behind the curve here, but until I started making grilled Caesar salad, it didn’t occur to me that lettuce could and should be served any way other than being torn up and tossed in a chilled salad. As it turns out, lettuce – and especially romaine lettuce, which is a pretty hardy and substantial variety – is just plain fabulous when it is sautéed until it is warm and wilted. In this case, after the chicken was done I cooked up some chopped bacon and then sautéed the romaine in the bacon drippings with a little grinding of pepper. It wilted down to the perfect amount of tender but still crunchy, and came out of the skillet dressed with just the right amount of bacon flavor.
A couple of lemon slices on the side to give everything a nice little zip, and dinner is served! And did I mention only one skillet to clean up after dinner?Print
- 2 bone-in chicken breast halves, with skin
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 slices bacon (thick cut if you have it), chopped into one inch pieces
- 1 small head of romaine lettuce, core cut off and leaves torn roughly in half
- Coarse salt and fresh ground pepper
- Lemon slices
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper and place in skillet, skin side down. Cook for 10 minutes, checking occasionally to make sure skin is getting deep brown and crispy. Turn with tongs and cook for another 10 minutes until done. Place on a plate and cover with foil.
- Add bacon to skillet and cook until almost done. Add lettuce and stir until just wilted. Season with freshly ground pepper.
- Place chicken and lettuce on plates and serve with lemon slices on the side.
Hi there! I’m Kate, and I’m a recipe writer, food photographer and devoted bacon lover. I started Framed Cooks in 2009, and my mission is to create and share family-friendly recipes that make cooking both easy and fun…yes, I said FUN! My kitchen is my happy place, and I want yours to be that place too. Let’s cook together!