Spice up your your holidays with this recipe for chai hot chocolate! Full of all the spicy goodness of chai tea and the extra flavor of rich chocolate.
- 4 cups milk
- 3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate pieces or chips (I used Ghiradelli)
- 10 cardamom pods, coarsely cracked (and if you can’t find these, don’t give up! Just use a little cardamom powder, or some extra allspice)
- 1/2 teaspoon whole allspice, cracked
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (yes pepper! Don’t skip it!)
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 quarter-size slices fresh ginger plus 1/2 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, divided
- 1/2 cup chilled whipping cream
- Combine first 6 ingredients, 4 tablespoons brown sugar, and ginger slices in medium saucepan. Bring almost to simmer, whisking frequently. Remove from heat; cover and steep 10 minutes. Mix in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.
- Meanwhile, whisk cream, remaining 1 tablespoon brown sugar, grated ginger, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon vanilla in medium bowl to peaks. Add more sugar to taste if not sweet enough for your taste.
- Strain hot chocolate. Ladle into 6 mugs. Top each with a swirl of ginger cream.