This recipe for swirled shrimp and grits is the ultimate comfort food. Get your spoon ready for a whole new shrimp and grits experience!
I think I am pretty firmly on record with my love for shrimp and grits. Sweet and tender shrimp, creamy dreamy grits, a hint of naughty heat somewhere in there with a dash of hot sauce or some minced shallots…you know what I’m talking about. My only teeny, weeny quibble with the whole shrimp and grits experience is that since it is the ultimate in comfort food, I want to eat all of it with a SPOON. Comfort food = spoon. And with traditional shrimp and grits you do need to spear those shrimpies with a fork, and maybe even cut them with a knife. And then one day when I was making my favorite shrimp dip – the one that involves chopping up the shrimp in the food processor to make it all dip-like – it occurred to me. I could do the same thing with the shrimp with grits! I could chop them up and swirl them in and then I would truly have the ultimate shrimp and grits comfort food experience! So I did.
And it was everything I hoped and dreamed it would be. Every bite was a conglomeration of warm and wonderful grits laced with bits of tender shrimp and a little bit of chopped chives for sass. No forks, no knives, just me and my spoon. Spooning up scrumptious bites of shrimp and grits. Basically shrimp and grits heaven.
I drizzled a little bit of melted butter on top (because there is no such thing as having too much butter with your grits. Can I get an Amen on that?) And a handful of chopped chives, because we like our shrimp and grits with just a little bit of sass in our house.
So grab a spoon and go swirl up your shrimp and grits!Print
- 12 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 1 cup grits
- 2 cups water
- Chopped chives for garnish
- Start by making the shrimp: Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add shrimp and cook until pink throughout, about 5 minutes. Remove shrimp and place in food processor.
- Add sherry to food processor and pulse until the shrimp is finely chopped. Add 5 more tablespoons of butter (cut in chunks) to the food processor and pulse until the butter and shrimp are finely chopped together. Add 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper, pulse again and taste. Add more seasoning as needed.
- Cook grits according to package directions. When they are done, stir in 3 tablespoons of butter and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir half of shrimp mixture into the grits. Divide among bowls and divide the remaining shrimp mixture between the bowls, swirling it around on the top. Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter and drizzle on top, and top with chopped chives.