- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 pounds ground chuck beef
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups canned chopped tomato with their juices
- 1 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 cup beef broth, plus extra to loosen if needed
- Heat the oil in a large deep skillet. Add onions and saute until just tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add beef and break up with a wooden spoon. Saute until browned.
- Add all spices and stir. Add tomato paste, tomatoes and beef broth and stir again.
- Simmer for about 45 minutes, adding additional beef broth if needed to loosen it up and stirring occasionally.
- Serve with your choice of toppings!