Chicken salad is one of those recipes like meatloaf, or macaroni and cheese, where I always think there might be a better version out there. So I am forever trying yet another version, because you never know if the grass might be greener on the other side of the chicken salad fence. Such is the case with this light and easy chicken apple salad, which combines a bunch of my favorite flavors all together in one delicious bowl. Let’s make it!
This particular version is extra simple, and can can be whipped up in just one bowl. During a busy week, simple is one of the most beautiful words I know. For me it ranks up there with the words “nap” and “extra bacon.” Anyway, this recipe gives you a nice light mayo-free chicken salad that has the extra added attraction of having apples as one of the ingredients. I love apples, and every year around this time the Southern husband and I go out to our favorite pick-your-own place and we pick our own. This year we picked two pecks of our own, because the trees were just bursting with gorgeous apples and it was very hard to leave too many behind.
Which means that my fridge is now bursting with homemade applesauce, and we are eating a lot of this scrumptious chicken salad.
Anyway, this nice recipe calls for poaching the chicken, but you can also make grilled chicken with for another recipe earlier in the week and throw a few extra chicken breasts on the grill. Pop them in the fridge and then this recipe will go even faster a couple of days later.
So for those of you, like me, who never met a chicken salad recipe you didn’t like, here’s another good one for your collection! And let me know if you need any applesauce.Print
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 Granny Smith apples, cored and diced
- 1/2 cup chopped cashews
- 1/2 cup chopped basil
- Pound chicken thin, place in saucepan and cover with water. Add 3 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and bring to low boil. Cook until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Transfer to bowl of ice water for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine lime juice, vinegar and sugar in large bowl and stir until sugar is dissolved. Add scallions and apples and toss.
- Dry chicken and shred into bite size pieces. Add to bowl with cashews and basil, along with remaining salt and pepper. Toss and serve.