This quick and bursting with flavor recipe for chicken with pan-roasted cherry tomatoes is not only cheery and scrumptious and easy to make on a busy weeknight, but it is also helpful if you are the impatient type like me. Nope, it’s not enough for me that my herbs are lushly growing away in whiskey barrels outside my door, and that my mom is bringing me bunches of garlic scapes from the farmer’s market, and that the azaleas are in glorious bloom and that the windows are open all over the house. Nope. Some people are only completely happy when the local tomatoes are in season, and this cherry tomato recipe is for THOSE people. (Raises hand.) Because by some miracle of tomato wonderfulness, while the off-season big tomato doesn’t taste like much, the cherry tomato is flavorful all year round. And therefore so is this chicken supper!
Not everyone in my family is like this. Some of us are completely content to enjoy the not-yet-tomato season exactly the way it is.
Taking time to smell the flowers and trying to eat a bee.
While others of us wait impatiently for these to show up.
But until they do, the cherry tomato is our friend. This recipe calls for marinating boneless chicken breasts in a lovely bath of olive oil and garlic and lemon juice and fresh rosemary (which I DO have!), and then pan-cooking it until it is nice and tender. Then you deglaze the pan with a little white wine, toss in those cherry tomatoes with some sugar and and salt and pepper and roast them until they are tender and a little charred. Top your chicken with those tomatoes and a little grated parmesan, and it will help you wait out these loooooooong next weeks until the big boys arrive!Print
Chicken with pan-roasted cherry tomatoes is the perfect way to enjoy fresh tomato flavor all year round!
- 4 boneless chicken breasts, about 4 ounces each, pounded until they are about 1/2 inch thick
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Juice from one lemon
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Mix together olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and rosemary and pour into a zippered plastic bag. Add chicken and marinate in the fridge for about an hour.
- Dredge the chicken in flour. Heat the canola oil in a large deep skillet over medium high heat and cook the chicken for about 2 minutes per side. Remove and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add wine to the skillet and bring to a simmer. Add cherry tomatoes, sugar, salt and pepper and stir until the tomatoes are tender and starting to char and burst.
- Place chicken on plate, cover with tomatoes and garnish with Parmesan.
Adapted from The New York Times