This hot Mexican cheese dip recipe is perfect for Cinco de Mayo or any time you want a little spicy cheesy deliciousness!
- 1 stick butter
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 4 ounce can of green chiles, drained
- 1 28 ounce can chopped tomatoes, drained
- 4 ounces of cream cheese, torn into pieces
- 4 cups of sharp shredded cheddar cheese (see note)
- Tabasco or other hot sauce
- Tortilla chips for dipping!
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add flour and stir until onions are coated. Add chiles and tomatoes and stir.
- Add cream cheese and stir until melted. Add cheddar and stir until cheddar is melted and everything is creamy. Simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in hot sauce a few shakes at a time, tasting after each addition until it is as spicy as you like.
- Spoon into a bowl or a fondue or chafing dish and serve with chips.
We like Cabot cheese for this recipe, but if you want to be assured of maximum meltiness you can also sub in Velveeta!