This hot Mexican cheese dip recipe is perfect for Cinco de Mayo or any time you want a little spicy cheesy deliciousness!
- 1 stick butter
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 4 ounce can of green chiles, drained
- 1 28 ounce can chopped tomatoes, drained
- 4 ounces of cream cheese, torn into pieces
- 4 cups of sharp shredded cheddar cheese
- Tabasco or other hot sauce
- Tortilla chips for dipping!
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add flour and stir until onions are coated. Add chiles and tomatoes and stir.
- Add cream cheese and stir until melted. Add cheddar and stir until cheddar is melted and everything is creamy. Simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in hot sauce a few shakes at a time, tasting after each addition until it is as spicy as you like.
- Spoon into a bowl or a fondue or chafing dish and serve with chips.