Melted grilled cheese tops an asparagus salad for a grilled cheese asparagus salad lunch that is the best of both worlds! Have your grilled cheese and your salad all at the same time – what could be better than that?
I realized WAY late in the game that April is National Grilled Cheese Month, which is a pretty pathetic state of affairs for a food blogger. Especially one (like me) who lives for a good grilled cheese sandwich. In a last minute effort to catch up, I’ve included some of my all-time favorite grilled cheeses in the related posts at the bottom of this one, but given that April is also 3 short months away from National Bikini Month, I am combining this grilled cheese with a delectable asparagus and apple salad to make it a fair fight between grilled cheese and the possibility of me getting into a bikini in 3 months.
Those of you who have actually met me have now fallen of all your chairs laughing, because between my red-haired paler than pale skin and my love of grilled cheese, I have never worn a bikini IN MY LIFE. Nope, I stick to full coverage one piece bathing suits. Preferably with leopard spots. Take that, National Bikini Month.
There I am, at the last known time I let my whole self be photographed in a bathing suit. I’m perfectly happy to be photographed with any kind of grilled cheese though. Including this grilled cheese salad, because as much as I adore the classic melty cheese sandwich version, I was pretty happy to combine it with some asparagus and chopped apple and honey roasted peanuts and some spring greens, all drizzled with a little honey mustard dressing. Sweet and tangy and cheesy and crunchy and melty and springy, all at the same time.
I used fontina cheese for my salad, but this is very flexible in terms of ingredients. Cheddar, mozzarella, goat cheese or really anything you have waiting in your cheese drawer will do just fine. Put slices or shreds of whatever it is on a few baguette slices and run it under the broiler just under it is nice and melty.
Melted grilled cheese tops an asparagus salad for a grilled cheese asparagus salad lunch that is the best of both worlds!The salad is also very flexible – I love the combo of roasted asparagus and chopped green apple with the honeyed peanuts, but you could also use chopped pear, regular peanuts or toasted walnuts or pumpkin seeds, and whatever lettuce you have on hand will work just fine. The dressing is a quick shake of honey, mustard, vinegar and olive oil.
So here I am under the wire with my contribution to the wonder that is Grilled Cheese. I’d love to hear about your favorite grilled cheeses – leave me a link in the comments! And now that I know that next month is National Egg Month, you better believe I’m getting ready.Print
Melted grilled cheese tops an asparagus salad for a lunch that is the best of both worlds!
For the dressing
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
For the salad
- About 12 asparagus spears, trimmed
- Olive oil
- 1 small head of lettuce, rinsed and torn into bite sized pieces. Butter lettuce, Bibb lettuce and frisee are all great choices!
- 1 green apple, chopped
- 1/4 cup honey roasted peanuts
- 4 slices of baguette or other sturdy bread
- 4 slices of cheese (or the grated equivalent) – fontina, cheddar and Swiss are all wonderful
- Put all dressing ingredients in a mason jar or other lidded jar. Shake vigorously and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425. Place asparagus on a foil-lined baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and a little salt and roast until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Place cheese on bread slices. Put on a foil-lined baking tray and run under the broiler until just melted.
- Toss lettuce with dressing and divide among plates. Top with asparagus, chopped apple, peanuts and finally two grilled cheese slices. Serve at once.
Hi there! I’m Kate, and I’m a recipe writer, food photographer and devoted bacon lover. I started Framed Cooks in 2009, and my mission is to create and share family-friendly recipes that make cooking both easy and fun…yes, I said FUN! My kitchen is my happy place, and I want yours to be that place too. Let’s cook together!