Meat and potatoes, move over…this recipe for steak with whipped cauliflower and crispy breadcrumbs is in town!
For The Cauliflower
- 1 head cauliflower, leaves and stem removed and cut into 2–3 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground pepper
For The Steak And Breadcrumbs
- 2 strip steaks, about 1 inch thick
- 1 slice bread, processed in the food processor into crumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Pinch each of salt and pepper
- Make the whipped cauliflower: Steam cauliflower until tender, about 10-12 minutes. A paring knife should slip into the cauliflower easily.
- Put cauliflower into food processor with butter, cream cheese and salt. Process until completely smooth, about 1 minute.
- Taste and add salt if needed. Cover and set aside while you make the breadcrumbs and cook the steak.
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a small skillet over medium high heat and add the breadcrumbs, along with a pinch each of salt and pepper. Stir until crispy and golden. Remove to a small dish.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a large heavy skillet. Pat the steaks dry and cook to your liking – 2-3 minutes per side for medium rare. Remove and let them rest for a few minutes before slicing.
- Slice the steaks in strips. Mound some cauliflower on each plate, top with steak strips and sprinkle breadcrumbs on top.