I love baked potatoes with a ridiculous amount of love. And my love for them spilleth over when they are topped or stuffed with other things I love, like eggs or taco spices or cheeseburger fixings. I also love pizza with a ridiculous amount of love, so this recipe was inevitable. Baked potato, pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, and just for good measure, some pepperoni. Because if you are going to mash up your baked potato with your pizza, you might as well go the full monty!
Side note: I was pretty sure I was on firm ground using that phrase, but just to be sure I looked it up on my friend Wikipedia, and they said ” A US equivalent might be the phrase “the whole nine yards”, “the whole ball of wax”, “the whole enchilada”, “the whole shebang” or “the whole hog”. Since the 1997 release of the film The Full Monty, which features a group of men in Sheffield learning to become striptease performers, the phrase has also come to mean a person removing every item of their clothing.” I love that movie, and I love this definition. I am filled with all kinds of love today.
Back to the potato love.
You want to bake up your potatoes until they are nice and tender. You can do this in the oven the old-fangled way, but I always use my microwave. I can’t tell the difference and it cuts the baking time down from an hour to 8 minutes. Which is fabulous, because when I want a pepperoni pizza potato, I want it as soon as humanly possible.
When the potato is just cool enough to handle, cut an oval in the top and scoop out the cooked potato, leaving the skin intact – it should look like a little potato boat. Now mash the insides with some milk, butter, cream cheese and shredded mozzarella. Taste it and add a little salt and pepper.
Next, paint the bottom of your potato boats with about a tablespoon of jarred pizza sauce. Smoosh each boat full of the cheesy filling, and spread a little more pizza sauce on top. Nestle a few pepperoni slices on top, sprinkle with a little more mozzarella and some oregano, place them on a rimmed baking dish and pop them in the oven for about 10 minutes so the cheese has a chance to get properly melty.
I like to pop any extra pepperoni slices on the plate when I serve up the potatoes. If there ARE any extra slices. It totally depends on how many people are sidling in and out of your kitchen swiping pepperoni while you are making the potatoes.
If you have any other baked potato concoctions that you think I should know about, tell me in the comments…I am always looking for new baked potato horizons!Print
Baked potatoes meet pepperoni pizza in this easy recipe, and the results are scrumptious!
- 4 baking potatoes, scrubbed clean
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 12–16 slices pepperoni
- Dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- Pierce potatoes a few times with a paring knife and microwave on full power until potatoes are tender, about 8 minutes. A knife should go into it easily.
- Preheat oven to 400 and line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut an oval shape into the top of each one and scoop out the insides, leaving the skins intact.
- Mash the insides with the butter, cream cheese, milk and one cup of the mozzarella. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spread a tablespoon of the pizza sauce in the bottom of each potato skin shell. Divide the potato filling amount the shells, pressing down and leaving a little indentation on top.
- Spoon a little pizza sauce into the indentation on each potato. Tuck a few pepperoni slices on top and cover with remaining mozzarella. Sprinkle with oregano.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, remove from the oven and serve!
Hi there! I’m Kate, and I’m a recipe writer, food photographer and devoted bacon lover. I started Framed Cooks in 2009, and my mission is to create and share family-friendly recipes that make cooking both easy and fun…yes, I said FUN! My kitchen is my happy place, and I want yours to be that place too. Let’s cook together!