It’s hard to put into words what it feels like to be the only, and I mean only person in your house who loves Brussels sprouts. The Southern husband, the guy who has bravely and enthusiastically embraced everything from grilled macaroni and cheese sandwiches to chocolate-dipped bacon draws the line at Brussels sprouts. The Southern daughter and her posse? Hahahahaha. Not even the dog will eat them with me, and she once ate a piece of the driveway. (Not kidding.) But I know, I just know there are other Brussels sprouts lovers out there, and so this one is for you guys. My Brussels sprouts soul-mates.
Brussels sprouts, mustard and honey get together in this quick vegetarian pasta recipe!Click To TweetNow, obviously since you are looking at that picture up there, I crossed the Southern husband’s line recently and actually purchased some Brussels sprouts.
With the full intention of yes, cooking them for dinner. (He asked, just to be sure. I think he was hoping I was planning to maybe shellac them and use them as mantelpiece decorations.) But no, I was hoping that if I roasted them with olive oil and sea salt until they were crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, and tossed them with hot cooked pasta and grainy mustard, and drizzled just a little bit of honey over the top to give the whole thing a sweet and salty vibe…maybe if I did all that I could convert him over into a Brussels sprouts lover.
And to his credit, he tried. As in, he ate one sprout and all his pasta. Thereby forcing me to eat the ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS abandoned Brussels sprouts in his bowl in addition to all of mine.
Because in my house, I have declared a No Brussels Sprout Left Behind Rule. And I am the lead enforcer.
So if you are lucky enough to live with fellow Brussels sprouts devotees, please 1) make this recipe and 2) invite me for dinner. I’ll be leaving you-know-who home with the dog.Print
Roasted Brussels sprouts, grainy mustard and just a drizzle of honey get together in this quick and delicious vegetarian pasta recipe!
- 1/2 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 8 ounces short pasta (bowties, penne, etc)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- 1-2 tablespoons honey for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 400. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Toss Brussels sprouts with oil and salt and lay in a single layer on the pan. Roast for 30-40 minutes until tender and browned.
- While sprouts are roasting, cook pasta according to package directions. Reserve one cup of pasta water and drain.
- Return pasta to pot and add butter, cheese and mustard and stir until well combined. Add enough pasta water to make a light sauce.
- Add Brussels sprouts and gently toss. Divide among plates, drizzle honey over the top of each and serve.