Does anyone else out there have a mad crush on avocados? I love them passionately, and am always looking for an excuse to work them into the menu. To the extent that the Southern husband will now and again buy me a bag of them at Costco – and you know what that means. Many Avocados. And somehow, somehow, I manage to use them all up without any issues. I think they are a power food (and if they aren’t, please don’t tell me). So welcome to my latest adventure with avocados, otherwise known as creamy, dreamy guacamole pasta!
That’s right, and it’s exactly what you think it is – all the wonderfulness of guacamole ingredients, adjusted just a little to make a light and lovely pasta sauce. You can spice it up with a little tabasco sauce if you are in a zesty kind of mood, or you can leave it gentle and creamy for a fun and different kind of comfort food. I like to top mine with quartered cherry tomatoes, but you could also use chopped red onion and/or cilantro to keep with the guacamole theme. You could also throw caution totally to the wind and sprinkle some crushed tortilla chips on top. Yes, I am crazy like that sometimes. I KNOW!
So please go out and find yourself a couple of nice ripe avocados right away. You need to guacamole up your pasta. You do!Print
Trade in the tomato sauce for this creamy, dreamy guacamole sauce – your pasta will never be the same!
- 12 ounces linguine or spaghetti
- 2 ripe avocados, pits and peels removed
- Juice from one lime
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Tabasco sauce (optional)
- For garnish: quartered cherry tomatoes, chopped red onion, chopped cilantro – any or all!
- Cook pasta according to package directions and drain, saving a cup of pasta cooking water.
- While pasta is cooking, make sauce: put avocado, lime juice, parsley and garlic in food processor and process until smooth. Add olive oil through the feeding tube with the processor running and process until everything is well combined.
- Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper. Add a few shakes of Tabasco if you want things zesty!
- Add pasta sauce to pasta and toss with tongs until well coated. If the sauce is too thick, thin with a little reserved pasta water.
- Divide among warmed plates, garnish with your choice of toppings and serve!