We are a family that likes our peanuts. From good old pb&j sandwiches to just noshing on them by the handful, we have yet to meet a peanut anything we don’t like. Maybe it’s the Southern husband’s Georgia upbringing. Maybe it’s just the salty crunchy deliciousness. Whatever it is, it led me down the road to this creamy and unusual soup, full of smooth peanut flavor and garnished with chopped (say it with me) peanuts! And since we are smack in the middle of soup season, otherwise known as the month of January, it’s the perfect time to give this a try.
And (bonus points!), this soup takes only slightly longer than making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and (double bonus points!) you might just have all the ingredients you need right there in your pantry. Butter, celery, chicken broth, flour, peanut butter, half and half and peanuts are all it takes. That and your handy blender.
Start by sautéing some chopped celery in the butter – the celery is going to give it a little substance and is going to balance out the peanut flavor. Nobody will ever guess that celery is part of this soup, but it does a great job in its supporting role.
Add a little flour and some chicken broth and simmer it for about 15 minutes, and then give it a whirl in the blender (or better still, right in the pot if you have an immersion blender) and then add the peanut butter and the half and half. Stir it over low heat until everything is nice and warm and mixed up.
Now stir in some chopped peanuts and ladle it into warm bowls. I like to scatter a few more chopped peanuts on top just for good measure.
Peanut butter cookies for dessert, anyone??Print
Move over peanut butter sandwiches….the creamy, dreamy peanut soup is in town!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup peanut butter (I use the smooth kind)
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup chopped peanuts, plus extra for garnish
- Put the butter in a heavy deep saucepan and melt it over medium high heat. Add the celery and stir for 3 minutes until it starts to soften.
- Stir in flour until well combined, then add the chicken broth. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a blender (or use your immersion blender) and blend until smooth. Add peanut butter and half and half and blend until combined. Return the soup to the pot.
- Heat over medium low heat until warmed through. Stir in 1/2 cup chopped peanuts.
- Ladle into warmed bowls, garnish with more chopped peanuts and serve.