Cream cheese is swirled into this warm and wonderful potato vegetable soup for the perfect winter supper!
- 2 pieces of thick cut bacon, cut in half
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 good sized Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed and cut into quarters (no need to peel unless you want to!)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives, plus extra for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the bacon in a heavy deep pot until crispy. Remove and place on a paper towel-lined plate, leaving the drippings in the pan.
- Add onions, carrot and celery to the pot. Cook veggies over medium heat until they start to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth and potatoes and simmer until potatoes are cooked, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to blender (or use an immersion blender right in the pot) and blend until mixture is almost smooth – or all the way smooth if that is the way you like it!
- Return to pot, turn heat to medium and stir in cheese until melted. Stir in chives.
- Ladle into bowls, garnish each with a bacon slice and some chives and serve!