Happy New Year! I don’t know about you, but I am big on resolutions. And while lots of them don’t have anything to do with food (as in, send more handwritten notes to people I love, and go outside for at least 15 minutes every day even if it is freezing, and to drink more water), I of course always have at the top of my resolution list all year round to cook things that are a good balance of healthy and interesting and delicious. So to get things on the right track on this first day of 2015, here are a few of my favorite things all in the same pot: chicken, sweet cherry tomatoes and tender shallots!
I want to put in a word for shallots here. I love them. They are in the onion family, but when they are cooked nice and gently the way they are in this recipe, they have a sweet, almost buttery taste that is just plain scrumptious. Give shallots a chance.
Anyway, in this recipe you are going to saute them in butter and olive oil until they begin to get soft, and then you are going to simmer them with a few chicken breasts, some white wine and some mustard until everything is tender and juicy and smelling like heaven. Right at the end, toss in some halved cherry tomatoes, just for a few minutes until they are warmed up.
And that, my Happy New Year friends, is that! Scoop out the chicken and shallots and tomatoes onto warmed plates – you can spoon it over rice, or have it just as it is. Make sure you drizzle a generous amount of the pan sauces over everything, and dig in.
It’s going to be a very good year.Print
Cook up some tender chicken, sweet cherry tomatoes and buttery shallots all in this easy one-pot supper!
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts halves, cut again in half to make quarters
- 1/4 cup flour seasoned with a little salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 shallots, peeled
- 2 cups white wine
- 2 tablespoons mustard (grainy or Dijon are both great in this recipe!)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- Dredge the chicken in the seasoned flour.
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a heavy deep skillet over medium high heat. Sear the chicken on both sides until it is golden brown, then remove chicken to a plate.
- Add shallots to the pot and cook until they start to soften a little, about 10 minutes.
- Add the wine and mustard and stir. Add the chicken back in, cover the pot and turn the heat down to a simmer for 30 minutes.
- Uncover the pot and let it simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Add the cherry tomatoes, give everything a stir until the tomatoes are warmed, then serve at once.
Adapted from The New York Times
Hi there! I’m Kate, and I’m a recipe writer, food photographer and devoted bacon lover. I started Framed Cooks in 2009, and my mission is to create and share family-friendly recipes that make cooking both easy and fun…yes, I said FUN! My kitchen is my happy place, and I want yours to be that place too. Let’s cook together!