- 4 large ripe pears, peeled and cored and cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Place everything into a heavy saucepan and bring to a simmer. Place the lid on slightly ajar and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring every ten or so.
- You can give the pear butter a gentle mash with a potato masher and leave it exactly as is…it will be the consistency of chunky applesauce. Mmmmmm.
- OR, you can give the pear butter a whirl in the blender or with an immersion butter…it will be the consistency of smoother applesauce.
- OR, you can pour it into a fine mesh strainer and push it so that some of the liquid drains out, so it will be a little firmer and more spreadable…you can also get this result from just letting it simmer, lid off, for a little while longer.
- Whatever way you like it, serve it up either warm or chilled on toast, muffins, scones, pancakes or just by itself!