Give the banana bread a rest and turn those ripe bananas into jam with this quick and easy recipe. Banana jam is perfect on toast, ice cream and sandwiches!
- 3 ripe bananas (about 1 1/2 cups when mashed)
- Juice from one lemon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1–2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Mash the bananas and put in a small heavy saucepan with the lemon juice, sugar and butter. Bring it to a simmer over medium heat and then turn to low. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring every five minutes or so.
- Turn off the heat and let it cool until it is cool enough to taste. Taste and then add the cinnamon and vanilla by half teaspoon-fuls until it has the taste you like. The jam will still be a little liquid at this point – don’t worry!
- Let the jam cool completely to room temperature – it will thicken up as it cools to about the consistency of apple butter.
- Store in the fridge for a week or so – if it even lasts that long!