As you may have figured out from the millions of times I have expressed my forever devotion to my slow cooker, I forever love my slow cooker. Or more specifically, I love that I can toss all kinds of things from brownie cake ingredients to pot roast into it, and it quietly, slowly, industriously turns whatever it is into Comfort Food. And so one of my missions in life is to take some of my favorite classics and slow-cooker-ize them. In this case it was Chicken Parmesan’s turn, and to take things even further I made it into soup! Warm, tender, cheesy, slow cooked chicken parmesan soup!
One of my my pet peeves when it comes to chicken parm is that it is so often made NOT with parmesan cheese, but with tons of mozzarella. Not that I have anything at all against mozzarella, but I think chicken parmesan should be made with, well, parmesan. So that’s what I did with this soup. I plunked a couple of boneless chicken breasts, some crushed tomato, some chicken broth, a little chopped onion, some dried oregano and yes, a nice big handful of freshly grated parmesan into my trusty slow cooker.
Then I went away for approximately 8 hours.
Then I came back, shredded the chicken and put it back in the slow cooker with some pasta and switched the setting to high.
Then I enjoyed a nice glass of merlot for about a half an hour, and when I came back I had this.
One thing that I love to do with this soup is this: if you happen to have rinds from your Parmesan cheese – those hard, waxy ends of the cheese – pop them into the soup at the beginning of the slow cooking and scoop them out and toss them at the end. They will give your soup an even richer parmesan flavor. Waste not want not!
End of slow cooker adoration…for today, anyway!Print
- 1/2 pound boneless chicken breasts
- 3 cups chicken broth (I like the Pacific and Imagine brands)
- 2 cups crushed canned tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus extra shavings of cheese for garnish
- Salt and pepper
- 5 ounces short pasta (elbows, campanelli, penne, etc)
- Fresh chopped parsley
- Place chicken, both, tomato, onion, oregano and cheese in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove chicken, shred with two forks into bite sized pieces and return to cooker. Add pasta, turn heat to high and cook for another 30 minutes until pasta is tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into warm bowls, garnish with shaved parmesan and parsley and serve.
Hi there! I’m Kate, and I’m a recipe writer, food photographer and devoted bacon lover. I started Framed Cooks in 2009, and my mission is to create and share family-friendly recipes that make cooking both easy and fun…yes, I said FUN! My kitchen is my happy place, and I want yours to be that place too. Let’s cook together!