- 2 cups cooked chicken, torn into strips and warmed or at room temperature
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and sliced into strips
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup salsa, plus extra for serving
- 2 cups finely shredded cheddar and jack cheese
- 8 small tortillas (either flour or corn is fine)
- Your choice of toppings, including sour cream, guacamole, lime wedges or whatever else you like!
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until onion is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Place chicken and onion together in a shallow casserole dish. Top with salsa and give it a stir. Cover the whole thing with cheese, and bake until cheese is melted, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, warm the tortillas by either wrapping them in foil and putting them in the oven with the fajitas, or charring them slightly by placing them on your stove’s gas burners for about 30 seconds per side and flipping them with tongs.
- Put out dishes of your toppings in the middle of the table (if you have a Lazy Susan, now is the time to break it out!). Place the casserole in the middle, warning folks to be careful because it is hot, along with the tortillas. Provide a few spoons for scooping and tell folks to dig in!