- 1/2 pound red snapper or other mild fish, cut into 1 inch by 3 inch strips
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup club soda
- Canola oil for frying
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1 avocado, peeled and pitted
- Juice from 1/2 lime (save the rest to cut into wedges to serve with the tacos)
- 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons sour cream mixed with 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Pour canola oil into a heavy deep pot (a Dutch oven works great for this) until you have about 3 inches of oil. Heat over medium high heat for about 10 minutes or until oil is about 350 degrees.
- Whisk together flour and salt and add club soda.
- Dunk the fish pieces thoroughly in batter and using tongs, carefully lower them into the oil.
- Cook until golden, about 5 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon to a plate lined with paper towels.
- While the fish is cooking, mash the avocado with the lime juice and a pinch of salt and set aside.
- Turn on a gas burner on low and lay each tortilla on it for about a minute a side, using tongs to flip it and remove it.
- Assemble as follows: spread the warm tortilla with avocado, top with lettuce, fish strips, tomato, scallions and a little chili sour cream. Serve at once with lime wedges.