- One 3 pound bottom round, chuck steak or sirloin tip roast
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 5 celery ribs, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 5 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- Two 14.5 ounce cans diced tomatoes with their juice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup pearled barley
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- Fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- Mix flour with salt and pepper. Place roast in a large bowl, pour on the flour mixture and roll it around to coat it.
- Heat oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over high heat. Add meat and sear until brown on all sides.
- Put roast in the slow cooker and scatter vegetables all around it. Add tomatoes, broth, water, barley and oregano and give everything a nice stir.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Remove the roast and shred it, using two forks. As you get to the center it might get harder to shred, but keep at it. The shreds will be just fine in the stew.
- Return the shredded beef to the slow cooker, stir everything around, ladle into bowls, garnish with parsley and serve.