Lighten up your favorite pasta by transforming it into an easy and delicious soup! Seconds and thirds are totally fine when you’re having lasagna soup.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth (I like the Pacific and Imagine brands in the box)
- 4 ounces campanelle or other short pasta
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves, or 1 tablespoon dried
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup fresh ricotta, room temperature
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, room temperature
- Brown beef over medium high heat in a large heavy pot (a Dutch oven is ideal). Add onion and cook until soft, another 5 minutes or so. Stir in oregano and tomato paste and cook for another minutes.
- Add tomatoes and chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add pasta and cook until pasta is tender (look for the timing on the pasta box). Taste and add salt as needed.
- Ladle soup into four bowls. Sprinkle basil on top. Add a generous spoonful of ricotta, scatter shredded mozzarella on the top and grind on some pepper. Serve at once.