You could have tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich…or you could have it all at once with this recipe for tomato soup with grilled cheese croutons!
- One 28 ounce can peeled plum tomatoes, pureed with their juice in food processor
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- Coarse salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon soft butter
- 2 slices sandwich bread
- 2 slices American cheese (you can sub in cheddar or swiss if you like!)
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in saucepan over medium heat.
- Add red pepper flakes, garlic and onion and cook, stirring, about 6 minutes or until onions are tender.
- Add tomatoes and chicken stock and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Puree in blender (or with immersion blender) until smooth and season to taste with salt and pepper. Return to pot and keep warm while you make the sandwiches.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat.
- Butter two slices of bread. Put cheese in between slices and cook in skillet until deep golden brown on each side.
- Cool slightly, then cut into crouton-sized cubes.
- Ladle soup into bowls and float croutons on top. Serve at once.